Database activity in CNM Cert allows you to build, display and search a bank of entries on topic of your choice. These files include files, images, links to websites, text etc. This data may be moderated before approval, commented on, rated . Database activity entries can be displayed in a List and individually in Single view.
According to the Marketing Communications by Fill (5th edition),
- Database. A collection of ﬁles held on a computer that contains data that can be related to one another
and which can reproduce information in a variety of formats.
Adding a Database Activity
- Same like other activities, you first have to turn the editing on and then click "Add an Activity" and choose Database.
- Give your new database a name which will form a link students will click on to access your database.
- Type a description. For the description if "Display description on course page" is ticked, the description will appear on the course page just below the name of the Database.
Other activities are expanded by clicking the links.
- Entries: Here you have to decide whether or not to moderate the entries before they appear. Such as approved or not, should students be able to edit their entries and / or comment on entries , should there be a limit of maximum number of entries and/ or entries they can add before they can view others.
- Availability: Where teachers select database visibility such as "Available from/to", "Read only from/to", Grade to pass to access the database.
- Additional settings include Grade, RSS, Ratings where you define permissions about who (other than teachers by default) can rate the database, Common Module settings, Restrict access/ Activity Completion with the options for students as Require view, Require grade, Require entries, Expect completed on and Site administration settings.
- Select your options, Click "Save and display"
- Here, different tabs appear. Define the fields manually or use a preset .
These are the information boxes that course participants must fill in. Entries may include text, file , images etc.
These are the fields that are must to fill in. For example, Name or any similar information.
In Create New Fields, you can choose field types such as Text fields, Check boxes, Date, File, Longitude/Latitude for geographical locations, Menu, Menu multi select, Picture as Single View or List View, Radio Buttons, URL .
These are ready-made sets of fields. Without always having to create a new database from scratch, you can use the Presets feature where you have an image gallery preset included in the database module. You can also download and create your own presets.
- Now, it is optional to define the templates. Here, you specify the layout of your fields such as List Template , Single Template, Add Template (This template creates the interface form used when adding or editing database entries) and some other settings. After defining, you can click "Save" button.
Users may View the database as List, Single, Rate entries and Comment (if settings are enabled).
- Add and delete entries.
- Link database entries to the concept words and/or phrases appear within the same course.
- Approve and undo approval of entries (if settings are enabled).
- Import and Export entries in various formats.
- Use other advanced features.